Dyersburg State Community College (DSCC) is a learner-centered institution which serves seven rural counties with below average levels of educational attainment and per capita income. DSCC offers associate degree and certificate programs to prepare students for the workforce and for transfer to a four-year institution. Nursing, education, EMT/paramedic and business are the primary academic programs of focus. The average age of our students is 24. The majority of DSCC students are low-income, attend on a part-time basis and are academically unprepared and need at least one developmental studies course before they are ready for college level work. Over 70% of the students are female. Public Service activities include, but are not limited to, continuing education, the Workforce Investment Act Program, Upward Bound, the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, the Tennessee Early Childhood Training Alliance and the Adult Basic Education Program.
Statement of Vision
Dyersburg State Community College will elevate the region’s educational attainment thereby enhancing the quality of life in West Tennessee.
Statement of Mission
Dyersburg State Community College serves seven counties adjacent to or near the Mississippi River in West Tennessee where there are enormous opportunities to improve college completion rates, employment levels in high-skilled jobs, and per capita income. An open-access, learner-centered institution, Dyersburg State anticipates and responds to the education needs of individuals through strategic planning and continuous improvement processes. In doing so, the College provides leadership in public service activities, workforce development projects, and educational collaborations designed to offer lifelong learning, to promote diversity, and to improve the community at large by producing educated members of society. Moreover, to improve the quality of life in the communities served, the College is strongly committed to developing and promoting civic and cultural opportunities, as well as economic and community development initiatives through partnerships with business and industry.
Dyersburg State Community College offers the following:
• Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Science in Teaching degrees for transfer to four-year institutions;
• Associate of Applied Science degrees and as certificate programs that respond to emerging career opportunities in health care and technologies and provide workforce education;
• A Learning Support Program that enhances the skills necessary for success in college-level courses;
• An Honors Program that expands students’ thinking and achievement;
• A Continuing Education Program that provides educational opportunities for children and adults;
• Seamless transition among institutions through articulation agreements with area high schools, Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology, and four-year institutions;
• A variety of student support services designed to increase the opportunity for success, as well as services to provide access to federal and state financial aid and locally-funded scholarships;
• Access to education via technology-assisted instruction, distance learning offerings, and course offerings at convenient locations at the DSCC Gibson County Center and the DSCC Jimmy Naifeh Center at Tipton County.
• An international program that includes opportunities for students, faculty and staff to attend cultural activities and events at our 3 locations and in nearby cities, opportunities for students to study abroad, opportunities for faculty to teach abroad and for staff to provide student services abroad, and opportunities for student exchange programs such as the US Congress-German Bundestag Young Professionals Exchange Program.
The accomplishment of this mission depends on a faculty and staff who are flexible, highly skilled, technology oriented and learner centered.
Dyersburg State Community College remains committed to the education of a non-racially identifiable student body and promotes diversity and access without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.