Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a duplicate diploma? How much is the cost?
FAQ Answer: The student completes a form that is sent to the State GED Office in Nashville. There is no cost for a duplicate diploma.
When can I retest if I didn't pass my GED?
FAQ Answer: There is a 30 day waiting period before you can take the GED test again.
When do I get my GED diploma?
FAQ Answer: The State GED Office in Nashville issues the GED diplomas. It typically takes 6-8 weeks after the student receives their score transcript in the mail.
What are the deadlines for applying for financial aid?
- You may apply for financial aid at any time; however, priority deadlines do exist depending on the type of financial aid you are seeking. March 1 is the priority deadline for scholarships and funds for which the institution has limited resources.
What is an EFC?
- The expected family contribution (EFC) is the amount your family can reasonably be expected to contribute to your education as determined by a formula developed by Congress and applied uniformly to all students.
Do I have to use my parents' information if I don’t live with them?
- Students who fall under the following category must use their parents' income information: under the age of 24, unmarried, not a veteran, not an orphan or ward of the court, do not have dependents for whom they provide more than 50% of their support, and not working on a master's or doctorate program.
Who do I include in my household on the financial aid application?
- For the household size, include all people that live in your household (or your parents' household, if applicable) for whom you (or your parents) provide more than half of their support and you (or your parents) will continue to provide more than half of their support for the year in which you will be attending school.
Is my financial aid automatically renewed each year?
- No, renewal of financial aid is not automatic. Students must file a FAFSA each year and demonstrate satisfactory progress.
What is verification?
- Verification is a comparison of the FAFSA information with lRS Tax Transcript(s) and other external documentation. The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects students who must be verified. DSCC may also select students for verification or request additional documents. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you if you are selected for verification.
Where do I turn in verification materials?
- You can turn them in at any DSCC location or you can mail them to the Financial Aid Office at 1510 Lake Rd, Dyersburg, TN 38024. Documents can be faxed to 731-286-3354.