Frequently Asked Questions
Is my financial aid automatically renewed each year?
- No, renewal of financial aid is not automatic. Students must file a FAFSA each year and demonstrate satisfactory progress.
What is verification?
- Verification is a comparison of the FAFSA information with lRS Tax Transcript(s) and other external documentation. The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects students who must be verified. DSCC may also select students for verification or request additional documents. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you if you are selected for verification.
Where do I turn in verification materials?
- You can turn them in at any DSCC location or you can mail them to the Financial Aid Office at 1510 Lake Rd, Dyersburg, TN 38024. Documents can be faxed to 731-286-3354.
What types of financial aid programs does Dyersburg State offer?
- Dyersburg State participates in the Federal Pell Grant Program, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program, Federal Work Student Program, and the Direct Loan Program. Institutional scholarships are generally awarded for academic achievement, participation in school activities, financial need, community involvement and major emphasis of study. a) Grants do not have to be repaid. Eligibility is based upon financial need. b) The Work Student program provides part-time jobs to help with educational costs. The student’s work schedule is built around his or her academic schedule. Eligibility is based on financial need and/or job skills. c) Loans must be repaid or cancelled in accordance with specific program regulations. Eligibility is based on financial need.
How much Pell Grant money am I going to get?
- The amount for which you qualify depends upon family size, number of students in college, income and assets and is determined by a processor for the U.S. Dept. of Education. The amount also may depend upon your enrollment status.
Am I eligible for the lottery?
- If you recently graduated from a Tennessee high school and obtained a 3.0 GPA or scored at least a 21 on the ACT exam, you may be eligible for lottery funds. For more information and additional program eligibility information, visit the College Pays website at http://www.tn.gov/collegepays//mon_college/hope_scholar.htm
If I received a merit based scholarship my freshman year, does it automatically renew?
- It depends upon the criteria for the scholarship; however, most scholarships are awarded for one academic year or one semester. Usually, the best recommendation is to visit the Financial Aid Office before the end of your most recent semester, and inquire about the scholarship criteria. The student will want to prepare a personal thank you to those individuals involved with providing the scholarship.
Who do I contact regarding VA tuition benefits?
- Contact James Beel at 901-475-3147 for information on VA benefits. Information is also available on VA homepage.
How do I apply for a student loan?
- The instructions for completing a student loan are available online: Apply for a Student Loan
What is a MPN?
- MPN stands for Master Promissory Note which is an agreement to repay loan funds.