Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Category

Can I schedule all of my classes as online courses?
FAQ Answer: Yes , you can. However , this is not a recommended academic path for all students to take. Before you register for all on-line classes , it is recommended you take an on-line measurement to help you to determine if this is a feasible path for you to take at this time.
I did not know I had to request my transcripts from other schools. Can I register for classes without my transcripts?
FAQ Answer: Yes , you can register for one term before DSCC receives your transcripts. However , without your transcripts , you may not be able to take some courses. Also , you will not be able to receive any type of financial assistance until all admissions requirements are met.
How do I register online?
FAQ Answer: Access MyDSCC and select the How To tab for step-by-step instructions or go to the One Stop Center in Dyersburg or to the DSCC Gibson County Center or the DSCC Jimmy Naifeh Center at Tipton County.
Can I register my friend or relative so we can be in the same class?
FAQ Answer: No , but you and another person can each attempt to register for the same classes. Remember that many courses have prerequisites , and you and your friend or relative may not be ready for the same courses.
Do I have to see an advisor? Why?
FAQ Answer: It is highly recommended that all students see an advisor. Advisors are able to help you in the decision-making process that will impact successful goal accomplishments.
Is there a way to satisfy my employer's requirements and my true educational interests at the same time? I need advice.
FAQ Answer: Yes! Look at your job requirements to see what is expected of you , consider where the business is going for future growth and development and where you plan to be in this movement. Talk to your supervisor to see what the expectations are for you in the position you are currently in or hope to be in. Take a personal inventory of what you want related to education. After you have gained this information , talk to a DSCC advisor about your educational aspirations.
I am not certain what I want to major in. Is there anyone I can talk to about career planning?
FAQ Answer: Yes! See your academic advisor , academic dean or school counselor or contact the Student Success Center. All are experienced in career planning.
I completed a diploma program at a Tennessee Technology Center. Can I receive credit towards a two-year degree for this work?
FAQ Answer: Dyersburg State Community College does have Articulation Agreements with the Tennessee Technology Centers in certain technology areas. First , you must contact the technology center that you attended and ask the TTC director to certify in writing your work and give you direction on what else needs to be done. If your diploma is in one of the articulated areas and it meets the guidelines specified in the Articulation Agreement , then follow the guidelines regarding college credit requirements and the specified time-frame.
How do I change my major or concentration?
FAQ Answer: Talk with your academic advisor or go to the One-Stop Center located in the Student Center.
I cannot take off work to come see an advisor: could you fix my PIN or register me on the phone?
FAQ Answer: All degree-seeking students must meet with an advisor before attempting to register. Perhaps you can phone or email your advisor to set up a time that fits your schedule.