Welcome to Dyersburg State Community College!

Dual Enrollment
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the requirements to become a Dual Enrollment student?
A: To become a Dual Enrollment student, interested high school juniors and seniors must have at least a 3.00 cumulative high school GPA. An exception may be made at the recommendation of a high school official.

Q: How do I apply to the Dual Enrollment Program?
A: To apply to the program, visit Dual Enrollment and click on the link to the online admissions application.

Q: Is it possible for Dual Enrollment students to receive funding?
A: Yes, it is possible for Dual Enrollment students to receive funding. All eligible Dual Enrollment students are encouraged to apply for the TN Dual Enrollment Grant before the semester deadlines (September 15 for Fall; February 1 for Spring; May 15 for Summer). To qualify for the TN Dual Enrollment Grant, a student must be a junior or senior in high school, lived in Tennessee for a year prior to applying for the grant, and maintained at least a 2.0 GPA in all previous Dual Enrollment coursework. An exception may be made at the recommendation of a high school official.

Q: Will my dual enrollment courses transfer to other institutions?
A: In most cases, DSCC courses transfer to other institutions. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the college or university they plan on attending to ensure that the courses will be accepted at those institutions. The official DSCC transcript is used for this purpose, not the high school transcript. If a student has any questions about transferring a course, they should contact the DSCC Dual Enrollment office at 731-288-7502 or 901-475-3132.

Q: Can students withdraw from a Dual Enrollment course after the course begins?
A: Yes, a student may withdraw from a Dual Enrollment course and receive a refund in accordance with Dyersburg State Community College policies. Students that fail to withdraw from their dual enrollment courses following the proper guidelines will receive a failing grade on their transcript. Reference an Academic Calendar for a list of important dates, including withdrawal dates.

Q: Who teaches Dual Enrollment courses?
A: All Dual Enrollment courses are taught by either a DSCC regular or adjunct faculty member. High school teachers who meet the adjunct faculty criteria may teach Dual Enrollment courses.

Q: Are Dual Enrollment courses different from other similar courses offered on a Dyersburg State campus?
A: No, Dual enrollment courses meet the same academic standards and quality as all other courses offered by Dyersburg State.

Q: How are Dual Enrollment courses graded?
A: Dual Enrollment courses are graded in accordance with criteria and standards established in the course syllabus. It is the student’s responsibility to check their DSCC grades online (mid-term and final) and to ensure that they are registered for their Dual Enrollment course(s).

Q: What do I need to do if I want to attend DSCC when I graduate?
A: Dual Enrollment students wishing to continue taking DSCC courses after high school must formally apply to the college.